In honor of TGiving:
1) My family- Though I am closer in proximity to my family than I have lived in the past 8 yrs, I didn't get to see them on Thanksgiving. That, however, doesn't change how much I love them or how meaningful they are to my life. And bonus, I am off to Chicago today to hang with the little bro for the weekend! Yahoo!!!!!
2) My friends--New, Old, near, far, and all the ones in between...They make me smile, bring out the best in me, and make me want to be a better person! I especially miss all my Tucson homeys, as I have spent the past 3 TGiving years with them!!
3) My ability to get up everyday and "do what I do.."--run, swim, bike, train, walk to work, etc....I know it sounds hokey but this really matters...and since I have been temporarily sidelined from running hard with this ITband injury , I am realizing that health and having a strong body are something that I often take for granted.
4) My job...with so many people out there getting laid off, positions being cut or changed, I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
very grateful to wake up everyday and head off to work, knowing that I enjoy what I do and I am getting paid to do it! I can't stress this enough!
5) My independence...Again, hokey, but I think that this has helped me persevere so many crazy situations in the past year, and without it, I am sure life would have seemingly crumbled before me..its hard to be tough sometimes, esp. when all you really want to do is cry! But I have had to look deep inside of myself to find the answer that sometimes only I know..it really just makes you stronger I think!
So, to all my blogger friends..Happy Thanksgiving...don't strain a hammy in the long lines at the malls today! Just sit back, kick it, train, whatever...be grateful for all that you have in your world!
Friday, November 28, 2008
In honor of TGiving:
Posted by Meredith at 8:20 AM
Friday, November 21, 2008
The winter season has officially begun. As I set foot out the door Tue morning for a run before work, strategically avoiding the small puddles that had now frozen to ice, I remembered what it was like to experience winter all over again....Let's face it, I have lived thru 27yrs of it and 3yrs without. It was bound to happen!;)
So cold that without avail, I hopped in my car Tue after work and drove fast as I could to Land's End. AHHHHHHHHH.......The smell of new leather boots, sound of squeaky galoshes...and the cozy comfort of a warm down coat (that actually covers my derriere!) Luxurious!
I purchased a very fashionable yet practical number in Chocolate, snagged some sassy bright pink tech shirt for base layering, a pair of warm fuzzy clogs and I was out the door! Shivering, nonetheless..but much warmer than when I started.....
The ITB has been nothing but cranky since starting the track workouts a few weeks back. The more circles I run, the more painful it feels. You know what I say? Screw that. I am D-U-N DUN with all of that until it heals. I skipped a week ago. Felt awesome. Played around with mile repeats this past Wed. Not-so-awesome. So I ice, I rest, I drop the intensity and mileage until I feel good(er!). Time. Tick-freakin-tock.
Until then, I will attempt to perfect the exact number of layers necessary to sustain 3hrs of comfortable riding on a Wisconsin winter's day. I welcome the challenge.
Posted by Meredith at 1:28 PM
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Its been months. Decades if you will....I have now been in Madison,WI for officially 6wks, and I am still loving every minute of it. Sure, I had some major hiccups along the way
Car troubles. Random scary AAA tow truck people who hauled my sorry vehicle off an overpass outside of St. Louis. A car that--AGAIN--died as I pulled into a toll booth someplace outside of the Chicago West Suburbs only miles from my aunt's house.
Its been one headache after another- The car, that is....I have thought once or twice about leaving the keys in the ignition, doors open, and just going to bed, only to find it missing by morning. Somehow, I think I may get more money from insurance if I do that.
I have found an awesome running group, that includes a number of really fast men and women who smoke the living crap out of me every time we do a track workout. Geez, haven't done track workouts since 2005, so I am remembering that the body needs to be S L O W L Y introduced to running hard efforts in the same direction again...owwy!!! IT band not so happy....more ice, more recovery!
Cycling has been less than Tucson, no doubt the dreary rain and wind has gotten in my way a few times. But I am still managing to meet some great UW cycling team members, and will be racing for a team out of Milwaukee for the 2009 season! SO STOKED!!
I found a Masters' team that
Oh ya. The job. Heheheheh. The real reason I moved here. Going well. Very well.
Posted by Meredith at 1:40 PM